Now you can signal to others from a DISTANCE that your dog needs some
space, giving other owners and the public time to maintain some space.
The yellow sign is to give dog owners the ability to signal when their dog needs space, allowing them to give their dogs a better chance of overcoming problems, and therefore a better standard of life.
The purpose of the program is to
• Give dog owners the possibility to take extra care of their dogs that are sensitive in any way.
• Prevent unnecessary misunderstandings.
• Give both dogs and their owners more space or time to move away from people and animals.
• Create the possibility to slowly train a dog and by that make better training progress.
• Make life easier for those dogs which for a shorter or a longer period in their lives, need more space from people and animals. Some dogs maybe for the rest of their lives, depending on the issue.
• There are LOTS of reasons why some dogs need some more space! They may be ill, hurt or may be just old. They may have a new family or bad life experiences and need a greater distance to slowly train to cope with their new surroundings. A bitch may be in season. Another dog may be having “everyday training”.
Visible, easy and affordable to use!
- It’s is visible from a distance.
- It’s easy to use for everyone!
- It’s cheap to use for everyone. You can buy ribbons or fabrics to make your own ribbons and bandanas, or you may have some yellow fabrics at home to use.
- It works internationally.
- It can be used long-term or short-term.
- A ribbon or bandana is easy to put on and off.
- Even small children will easily learn the meaning of the yellow ribbon or bandana – ‘keep away from the dog, please!’
- It can’t be misunderstood in those countries that are using yellow vests on working dogs, for example assistance dogs etc.
- Common dog products are already found in different colours and are to be used for other reasons.
Why not a text?
For a sensitive dog you are already too close if you can read a text. Therefore it’s important to get the information out about the meaning of the ribbon and bandanas as signs.
The Gulahund Yellowdog Program wants to promote a GOOD and responsible dog ownership
The yellow sign gives the dog owner the opportunity to take their dog ownership to another level: To take responsibility for their own dog’s wellbeing. The program is valid for both dog owners and the general public, as Evident by the programs information: To signal to other Dog owners and the general public from a DISTANCE that your dog requires their space, or needs to be given time to get out of their way. Therefore it’s important for You to inform the public where you live about the meaning of the yellow ribbon or bandana.
Dog owner’s responsibility
You as a Dog owner have a responsibility to read the Gulahund Yellowdog Program information. You need to know how it is supposed to be used an about its purpose before using the signs.
- You as a Dog owner as clearly referred by the Gulahund Yellowdog Program, Need to have knowledge about your own country’s laws on dog ownership. Among other things, You are always responsible for your dog’s actions, with or without the yellow sign, whether people know about the meaning of the yellow sign or not.
- You always have the responsibility to train your dog. The Yellow Sign is there to help your dog to succeed and to Help your training progress. Some dogs may only need a sign for training sessions. A few dogs may require a sign all the time due to a trauma that they have experienced which makes it hard for them to cope with things for the rest of their lives.
- The Gulahund Yellowdog Program promotes that all dogs should interact with other confident and friendly dogs in order for them to benefit and feel good, but it’s the owner’s responsibility to choose which dogs are suitable for their dog get along with.
- This program is NOT about or for aggressive dogs. Dogs that bite must wear a muzzle.
- You CANNOT!! REPLACE A MUZZLE FOR A YELLOW SIGN ON A DOG THAT BITES, whether you want to use the yellow signs, or not!
- There are unfortunately countries and states, that have very unfair laws which require some breeds to wear muzzles all the time when outside because of their breeding.
- If your dog has behavioral problems, The Gulahund Yellowdog Program clearly recommends you to first contact a good veterinarian and to check that your dog is healthy. Then contact a good and ethical dog trainer or behaviorist – who is certified and trained in Dog Ethology, who will help you to give your dog a better quality of life, by using positive reinforcement training, in both everyday and other kinds of training.
What Aggressiveness is really about!
NEVER punish an “aggressive” dog, because you will only make his/her reactions worse if you do. Bad life experiences from you, other people or dogs and sickness, visible/invisible injures and more can cause a dog to growl, bark, snap and bite.
A dog who acts” aggressively” is only expressing its FEELING OF BEING SCARED AND/OR INSECURE, That they need SPACE or Distance from whatever is making them feel like that. These feelings are from a need to protect him/herself and it is always the dog owner’s responsibility to immediately help them and kindly move these scared and insecure dogs out of all situations that makes them feel this way – Whether if it is you, somebody else or something which causes this feeling.
No dog should ever feel scared or insecure and Is it Not unfair to punish a dog who already is?!
Please, be kind and help your dogs by allowing them more SPACE. By doing this you are also giving them a better quality of life.